Bed Bugs Facts

It’s that time of year again, Weather is changing and we crave the Sun.
If you bring home more than a tan this summer Contact us (01) 4511795
Bed bugs facts: They don’t care how neat and tidy your house is, nor do they care if you’re the best housekeeper on the road. As long as you have blood pumping through your veins to provide them with a meal, bed bugs will happily take up residence in your home. One thing to keep in mind however is that clutter can make it much more difficult to get rid of bed bugs once they’re in your home, because they’ll have lots of places to hide. They are generally found in the creases of the mattress, your headboard, on the side of bedside lockers, and the back of curtains.

Bed bugs are pretty small, but they aren’t microscopic. If you know where to look for them, you can definitely see them without the aid of a magnifying glass. The bed bug nymph is roughly the size of a poppy seed, and grows larger from there. Bed bug adults measure a bit larger than 1/8th of an inch, or about the size of an apple seed or a lentil. The eggs, which are just the size of a pinhead, will be harder to see without magnification. They are nocturnal and feed on you at night.

If you think you might have them or anything else going bump in the night.
Call us today on (01)4511795
If you think you may need bed bug treatment or you want to know more click the following link
https://www.onguardpestcontrol.ie/bed-bugs-treatment/

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Rat Poison | Rat Control Ireland

Rat Control - Norway ratRat poison, or rodenticide is a category of pest control chemicals intended to kill rodents such as rats and mice.

Rat poison is often used as an effective aid in rat control, however “convincing” the rodents to eat the poison, may take some time and experience.

Rats are suspicious of new objects and generally avoid new foods that can make them ill, because anatomically and neurologically they are incapable of vomiting a contaminated or poisonous substance they ingested. The rat’s first line of defense is to “sample” the food in a very small amount. If it doesn’t make them sick, they will return and eat a bit more of it.

Rats have keen senses of taste and smell– and can detect harmful substances  in minute amounts. If something smells or tastes suspicious, they won’t touch it.

Rats are also very intelligent. They are capable of observing and linking the cause and effect of another rat dying after eating a particular food. As a result the whole colony will learn to avoid that food in future. They have also been known to develop resistance to some poisons and ingest them without any serious side effects.

Therefore, to effectively control a rat population, careful monitoring and the simultaneous use of several different rat control methods such as rat poison, rat traps, rat proofing and good sanitation should be used.

 

Most Common Types of Rat Poison

There are several types of rat poison. The most common are bromethalin, anticoagulants, phosphides, and calciferols.

Rat Poison # 1: Bromethalin

Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that affects cells in the brain and liver. It causes sodium accumulation within cells and results in fluid build-up within the brain. Bromethalin poisoning is fast acting– signs of brain swelling and central nervous system disturbance appear within 2 to 24 hours after ingestion. The swelling compresses nerves, which then lose their ability to send messages to the brain. Bromethalin can kill rats within a few hours following a single ingestion of poison.

Rat Poison # 2: Phosphides

Metal phosphides are frequently used as a rodenticide and are considered single-dose fast acting rat poison. A bait consisting of food and a phosphide (usually zinc phosphide) is left where the rats can eat it. The acid in the digestive system of the rodent reacts with the phosphide to generate the toxic phosphine gas which kills the rodent usually within 1 – 3 days after single bait ingestion.

Rat Poison # 3: Anti-coagulants

Anti-coagulants are common rodenticides that contain chemicals to interfere with blood clotting. Some of the most popular anti-coagulant rat poisons are fumarin and warfarin.
When the rodents begin to bleed internally, there is no vitamin K to induce blood clotting and the rats die due to internal bleeding. One of the shortcomings of this class of rat poisons is that it does not kill the animals instantly, but allows them to  return  to their nests—which are usually in walls or roof rafters, subfloors or foundations. Rats die and decompose in difficult to reach places and and that often results in a difficult to eradicate odour.

Rat Poison # 4: Calciferols (vitamins D).

This type of rat poison works by affecting the levels of vitamin D and calcium in the body. Ingesting toxic amounts of vitamin D causes hypocalcemia. Hypocalcemia is a condition where calcium levels are raised to a degree where the kidneys, stomach, lungs, blood vessels and heart are all damaged by calcification, or hardening. This process is slow and takes a week to kill the rodent.

 

Dangers of DIY Pest Control using Rat Poison

Each of these rat poisons is dangerous and should not to be applied without proper tools and knowledge. It is therefore safest to leave it to a professional pest control technician to administer the poison treatment.

Many people think that ingesting rat poison (or mice poison) would cause their dog or cat to vomit. However as some of the rat poisons effect the blood or nervous system or calcium balance, the symptoms are much more subtle and difficult to detect.  If  any of your pets or a child seems unwell after you put our the rat poison, contact a poison control centre immediately.

 

OnGuard Pest Control Offers Safe, Yet Effective, Rodent Control

We only use approved rat poison. The poison is never left lying around, but it is administered in specially designed bait stations, not easily accessible to other pets or children. Our Rat Control technicians, know where to put the bait, so to minimise your exposure to the poison and eliminate the rodents as soon as possible.

If you would like us to quickly and safely eliminate rats or mice from your house or place of business, give us a call; or request a call back by filling the form below.

request_callback_button

Professional Pest Control Services vs DIY Pest Control

Professional Pest Control Services Ireland - Wasp Nest RemovalPeople often ask us why should they use professional pest control services rather than try to get rid of the pests themselves.

Although there are many over the counter products, nothing is as effective as a professional pest control treatment applied by the IPCA qualified pest exterminator.

Pests build resistance to pest control products, so if  you don’t eliminate the root cause of the problem, they become far more difficult to eradicate. So, if you notice the appearance of any pests in your home or business premises, don’t gamble with over the counter treatments or wait until the problem gets worse.

Pests multiply very quickly and if you don’t do something about it, the problem can, and most probably will, get out of hand. We have many years experience in eliminating many different types of pests. We know where they hide, we know their breeding cycles; we know how to get rid of them quickly and effectively. For good!

We also have the right protective gear and equipment, we understand how to apply different products and how to pest proof your property to prevent the problem from re-occurring.

So, don’t gamble with the safety of your home or business. Leave it to the professionals.

OnGuard Pest Control - Fast, Effective Removal of Unwanted Pests

Call OnGuard Pest Control for a FREE estimate

Tel: 01 451 1795

* 24/7  Service for commercial clients * Guaranteed Results * Residential and Commercial Pest Control Dublin